Saturday, March 28, 2009

It's Van GO TIME!

So it looks like I have embarked on a new puppet project - Vincent Van Gogh. My hope is that I will be able to use it in art lessons for children and possibly create some sort of educational entertainment thing as well. I started off with a sketch, and then from the sketch developed some patterns to create the basic shapes.



Creating puppets from foam is an interesting process; you have to conceptualize a 3d shape made out of two dimensional planes. I am using high density 1/2 inch foam I got from the fabric store. The head ended up using a similar pattern to that of an hour glass. The white shapes in the picture are the patterns that I used. I usually make a small scale mock up then I cut the full scale patterns and foam and hope for the best. I'm sure there's probably a more scientific approach. I just try to use the force.



After cutting the shapes out of foam I pin everything together to see how it fits.

Next up.... Gluing!

No comments:

Post a Comment