Sunday, June 13, 2010

Raccoon Puppet - Step 1

The following blog posts will follow the development of a simple hand/glove puppet. The first step in making a puppet is designing it. Here are a few concept sketches for my puppet.




It's important to try and draw the puppet from multiple angles so you can more accurately sculpt the puppet later.

For this puppet I am starting with sculpting the head. In order to do this I take a styrofoam ball and bore out a hole for my finger. I then begin shaving the ball so that it starts to resemble the appropriate head shape. I used the blade of a pair of scissors as my tool for this part.





The next step is to begin the clay sculpting process. First I coat the whole styrofoam ball with clay (paper clay brand clay product). Then I start building up the major forms.






During this portion it's great to have those initial multi angle concept drawings I created to reference.



Almost done. Just have to sand him down and add some details around the eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment