Thursday, April 9, 2009

Head and Mouth

Ok I got the head glued up and I have cut the bottom out.


At this point I suggest heading over to Swazzle.com and checking out the great Ratchet mouth tutorial there

My process was a little bit different but very close.

Here I am checking the fit of the red palette on the inside of the head.
I cut a hole once I've identified where the mouth should go.

Then I do a test to see if the mouth works. I wanted to give him a frowny mouth with a conservative amount of opening clearance to give a mumbling look. I'm not exactly sure if it will work out that way but the tests look good.


I create my finger grips out of craft foam and then cover it with cloth. The Ratchet tutorial suggests using spray adhesive but I think I would suggest just using contact cement. The spray adhesive shoots a bit like silly string. For me it was messy and hard to control. Hot glue might work as well.


I've attached the finger grips to the foam and also two more pieces of foam to create pockets for my fingers.

(Insert funny caption here)

I put the mouth glove into the mouth slot and secure it with contact cement. This isn't an exact science. It's difficult to get exact measurements for things like this so calling upon your Yoda Dagobah training may be necessary. The foam is pretty forgiving and you can always edit later but make sure to pin everything and do tests before gluing.

And here is the finished foam head. It seems to work pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment